Real time (at-line, in-line & on-line) Particle Size Analysis
A million measurements a year
Malvern Insitec analysers measure particle size distributions, at-line, in-line and on-line. Dry powders, sprays and liquid dispersions can be measured by static or mobile analysers. This comprehensive range of instruments are used in many particulate processing industries including toners, pharmaceuticals, cement, minerals, powder coatings, pigments and metal powders. They use advanced laser diffraction technology to control processes such as milling, classification, spray drying, atomization, filtration and granulation. Insitec analysers can make more than a million measurements every year so that products are produced ‘right first time’ reducing waste and recycling. Real time monitoring means batch-to-batch variations are minimised and quality improved.
Features common to all models
- Laser diffraction technique with a size range 0.1 to 1000μm.
- Patented high concentration sizing with correction for multiple scattering.
- 4 measurements per second of the complete particle size distribution.
- First principles measurement using Mie theory and needing no calibration.
- The measurement technique has been validated for pharmaceutical use.
- Watertight and dustproof to industrial protection rating IP65 and IP66.
- Minimal maintenance, ideal for continuous use in the process environment.
Application – continuous measurement of dry particulate streams. Widely used in cement production and metal powder atomisation.
Application – continuous measurement of dry particulate streams in dusty areas. Rated in accordance with standard IEC 61241
Application – continuous measurement of dry particulate streams – intrinsically safe. Meets the requirements for CIP and SIP and is suitable for hygienic applications.
Application – continuous measurements of sprays. Time history shows ‘frame by frame’ segments of a spray event. Used to monitor wind tunnels, atmospheric chambers, atomiser performance and spray drying. The SX version is suitable for hazardous locations.
Application – continuous measurement of particulates and emulsions in liquid streams. The LPS version incorporates a sampler, pre-diluter, cascade diluter and measurement flow cell. Suitable for both dilute and concentrated wet streams e.g. pharmaceuticals and minerals
Application – mobile at-line or on-line measurement of dry particulate streams,Simple to attach to a process line to evaluate the potential of a dedicated on-line system. It is easily moved between production streams.Voyager Pharma is a specialised version modified for both CIP and SIP requirements. It is ideal for pilot plant or Process Analytical Technology (PAT) research where mobility and cleanability are required.
Provides robust, large-volume dry powder particle size measurements in manual and automated plant laboratories (particularly cement laboratories). Suitable for the analysis of samples up to 150g, it offers fully-automated SOP-driven operation. Maintenance requirements are low, and simplified by the modular design of the instrument, a feature that also facilitates integration within an automated lab.
Application – manual at-line measurement of dry particulate streams. Designed for use by plant operators it requires no sample preparation and can make measurements of a 100g grab sample. It is used in the manufacture of cement, coffee, and powder coatings.
Malvern Link interface and software
Application – the full integration of Insitec analysers with a plant control system. Malvern Link can deliver results in real-time to the control room and provide automation of routine tasks such as cleaning, maintenance and background checks. It simplifies plant operation, increases system reliability and minimises training requirements.
Insitec application table
- On-line. Continuous measurements usually by means of an external sampler or bypass stream providing real time output of results.
- In-line. Continuous measurements in the process providing real time output of results.
- At-line. Discrete measurements made close to the process, usually with samples presented by an operator.
In-line Particle Probe IPP70
The Parsum IPP70 in-line particle size analyser is designed for larger particulates, up to 6000μm. It uses advanced spatial filter velocimetry to measuring up to 15000 particles per second. The rugged probe can be inserted directly into a process line or vessel. The instrument continuously tracks Dv(10), Dv(50) and Dv(90) making it ideal for process control and endpoint detection. The range of applications includes wet and dry granulation, coating and spray drying, from pharmaceuticals to detergents.
- Size range 50 to 6000μm
- Optimised for high particle loadings
- Low sensitivity to loading fluctuations
- Measures up to 15000 particles per second
- Process temperature range –20˚C to 85˚C